Fall Quarter 2023

CONTENTS:
  • Faculty Spotlight
  • Teaching Circles

Faculty Spotlight

The PDC wanted to spotlight some of our newer Writing Program faculty! We’re so glad to have you as part of the program! 

Headshot of Dev Bose, smiling in front of greenery.

Dev Kumar Bose 

When did you start teaching for the Writing Program?

Fall 2023

Have you taught at/do you teach for any other programs here at UCSC besides Writing? For any programs outside of UCSC? 

Currently I’m only teaching here for the UCSC WP (as well as serving on many interesting projects, such as the writing minor) after working in writing program administration at University of Arizona for 9 years. I have also taught professional/technical writing and communication at Iowa State University and Clemson University, as well as dedicated time to teaching first-year writing at community colleges across the country.

What do you like to do outside of teaching?

Outside of teaching, I enjoy hiking, reading, and cooking. I’m also working on a couple writing projects on disability and writing, including a soon-to-be published book by the National Council of Teachers of English.

Any fun facts about yourself? 

I am the proud owner of several instruments, including a 6-string bass, a 5-string bass, and a didgeridoo. I’m not as well practiced as I would like to be, however.

Do you have any human, fur, or plant babies? If so, tell us a little about them.

My son is currently in first grade and adjusting well to life in a new city. The beach certainly helps! While my dog recently passed away at the ripe age of 18, my partner and I recently began fostering a kitten. We don’t see any beach trips for her in the future, however!

Headshot of Daniel Joesten standing in front of a castle.

Daniel Joesten

Fall 2018 as a GSI, Fall 2023 as a Lecturer

I have taught a world history summer course at UCSC in the past. Since Fall 2022 I have been teaching history at Monterey Peninsula College (World History, Western Civilizations, and U.S. History).

I enjoy listening to and creating music (piano, guitar, and bass). I also like to garden, though space is limited in my backyard. I recently resurrected a couple of sad looking crepe myrtle trees by adding some good old fashioned nutrients to the soil. I love playing video games when I have the time. The Legend of Zelda series is by far my favorite. I also like to jog on the wetland trails behind my house in Watsonville.

Any fun facts about yourself? 

I have been to six world capitals (London, Dublin, Belfast, Paris, Ottawa, and San Jose, Costa Rica) but never Washington D.C. I don’t know how fun that is, but I sort of think it’s interesting. 🙂

Yes! I have a son, Henry (11 years old), who loves to collect plushies and make gingerbread cookies no matter what time of year it is. I have a daughter, Emma (8 years old) who loves to sing rock music and went to her first rock concert at the age of 6. I also have two cats. Allie is the oldest and spends half the day outside in the backyard catching mice. Luigi is still a kitten(ish) and is more like a dog than any cat I have ever met. I have too many plant babies to count, though my favorite is my Japanese maple.

Image of Alexandra McCourt smiling in between a younger girl and a taller man.

Alexandra M. McCourt

Fall 2023

I have taught at North Carolina State University and Durham Technical Community College.

I like to make my own wine and watch Grey’s Anatomy (sometimes at the same time).

Any fun facts about yourself? 

I can speak Portuguese, French, and Spanish.

I have a human baby ☺️. Her name is Eduarda, she is 11, and she LOVES candy and Billie Eilish. I have a dog named Dean Winchester and I have three avocado trees that are growing 🥰.

Image of Don Miller , wearing a denim shirt and backpack and standing in front of the ocean.

Don Miller

Fall 2023 (though I did teach WRIT 26 in Fall/Winter of 2016/7)

I also teach courses in Languages and Applied Linguistics (primarily courses toward our TESOL certificate).

Hiking/backpacking, trail running, cycling, gardening, photography…

Any fun facts about yourself? 

I’ve been tattooed in the traditional Samoan way–ink made from candle nut soot tapped into the skin with a boar’s tusk.

We’ve got two cats. 5-yr-old siblings named Huck and Meimei.

Headshot of Daniel Pearce next to a window.

Daniel Pearce

Winter 2020 (eek!)

Kresge, and before that I taught at Columbia and San Quentin State Prison.

Write and play music!

Any fun facts about yourself? 

I play the drums 🙂

I have a dog Rudy, an adorable chihuahua–terrier–aussie mix—he often sits in my lap during Zooms and will pop his head up to say hi to my interlocutors.

Image of Kate Ross standing on a beach.

Kate Ross

Spring 2022 (lecturer); I taught Winter & Spring 2019, and Winter 2020 as a GSI.

I also teach at Rachel Carson. 

Hiking/backpacking, cooking, reading, cards.

Teaching Circles

This fall, the PDC once again facilitated the opportunity for Writing Program Faculty to join a teaching circle. In teaching circles, faculty with similar teaching schedules and modalities are paired so that they can informally talk about teaching–successes, problems, strategies, assignments…. Faculty are encouraged, but not required, to take the opportunity to visit one another’s classrooms (or Canvas sites) in a non-evaluative, low-stakes visit. Past participants have spoken of the positive impact of these connections.

We encourage you all to join a teaching circle in the Winter or Spring Quarter. It’s a low stakes, low commitment way to feel connected and get support in this challenging time of teaching. 

Plus, teaching circles are something to add to your Biobib. We’ll send you a certificate when you’ve completed one. 

Look for an email in the Winter to sign-up for a teaching circle! 

Be First to Comment