Winter Quarter 2024

CONTENTS:

• Faculty Spotlight
  • PDC Mini-Conference: Call for Presenters 

Faculty Spotlight

The PDC wanted to spotlight some of our Writing Program faculty! We’re so glad to have you as part of the program! 

Sandy Archimedes

Headshot of Sandy, who is smiling at the camera.
Sandy Archimedes

When did you start teaching for the Writing Program?

Spring of 2004

Have you taught at/do you teach for any other programs here at UCSC besides Writing? For any programs outside of UCSC? 

I taught College Nine Core for many years, and I was the Writing Coordinator for College Nine between 2004-2018.

What brought you to teaching (in general and/or here at UCSC)? 

I went to some wonderfully eccentric alternative schools as a child and adored my teachers. I was so inspired by them and by the supportive environment that I set my sights on teaching and writing … and here I am today!

What is your favorite spot here at UCSC? Or in the world?

Being mostly a city girl, walking from my office at Crown through the woods to College Nine (pre-pandemic) was a soul-restoring experience, even during some blustery storms. Besides encountering turkeys, deer, and various other critters, I’ve slogged my way through rain, mud, and rushing rivers — much more energizing than merely walking on the sidewalk!

What do you like to do outside of teaching?

I’m generally interested in anything related to health and well-being, so much of my non-teaching time is spent reading, cooking, doing yoga & meditation, going on city walks (in San Francisco, where I live, but also when we travel), and mostly being with friends and my long-time partner.

Photo of a black, brown, and white cat curled up in her bed.
Christabel

Any fun facts about yourself?

I’m retiring in June!

Do you have any human, fur, or plant babies? If so, tell us a little about them.

I love animals, and usually have one or two kitties, but sadly, our most recent and beloved fur-baby (Christabel) passed away a few months ago after a long, happy life. She was very affectionate and wanted to be by my side constantly, even when I was trying to work at the computer. There will be other fur-babies in the future (maybe even a pup!), but I’m giving myself a little time before then. 

Mark Baker

Photo of Mark with a black hat sitting with his arm resting on a railing that is overlooking a pond or pool.
Mark Baker

How long have you been teaching in general? 

About 27 years

Fall, 1999

Yes: Oakes College, HSI (WORD), EOP (Bridge), LALS

This, I’m sure, is an evolving and changing list. But in short: I’ve always appreciated those moments when students gain a greater sense of themselves through their learning, when they see their own agency. I always enjoyed being a student, so this has been something that has consistently kept me on that pathway.

What is your favorite spot here at UCSC? In the world?

UCSC: the view from the lawn at Oakes! The world: Cadaques, Spain (at least for this moment!)

Read, listen to music, cook, outdoor activities, travel, look at architecture, see friends.

Any fun facts about yourself? 

I grew up listening to a lot of punk rock bands in the 80s and 90s, and still listen to many of those same bands today.

Yes: Zoe (an 18 year old Persian/Siamese cat)

Gail Brenner

Photo of Gail smiling while standing in front of a mainly-blue piece of art and a yellow wall.
Gail Brenner

38 years

Fall 2015

Yes, for the Department of Languages and Applied Linguistics. Outside UCSC, in the past: UC Extension ELI (English Lang. International); ELS (English Languages Services); INTRAX (Int’l. Training and Exchange); Santa Cruz Adult School – ESL Program; Santa Cruz High School – ESL; privately at companies:Silicon Systems, Borland, Seagate. 

I’ve always been curious, and from a young age, intrigued with linguistic & cultural diversity (once I found out such a thing existed.) I loved school, and a favorite childhood pastime was “playing school” –  giving little lessons, creating tiny textbooks & exams for my (doll & stuffed animal) students. But the root of what drew me to teaching was my discovery, at age 6, that thousands of languages exist in the world besides the one that I and everyone I knew spoke. This stunning revelation sparked a vast new level of inquiry in my young mind – and, fast-forward, ultimately led me to studies in Anthropology and Education with a focus in ESL. So, here I am today, still “playing school” – for real now – still intrigued and inspired by academic engagement, my (much livelier) students, and my fabulous colleagues. 

Honestly, I’d have to say that the UCSC campus is one of my favorite spots in Santa Cruz, along with any location in Santa Cruz where one can look across meadows, surrounded by redwoods, out to the stunning expanse of the Monterey Bay. In the world, I’d say Granada, Spain with its multi-ethnic, religious, linguistic and cultural history & influences — still very much evident.

I love to dance (ballet, folk, or any free-form movement to music); I enjoy various genres of music; love to read, sit in the morning sun with a cup of tea & a good book, especially poetry, which I write a little (with uneven success); and love long weekly phone chats with my son, Josh, who lives in Pasadena. 

Any fun facts about yourself? 

Hmm…ok: For some years I belonged to a Polynesian Dance Troupe; we performed at the welcome ceremony at Crissy Field in SF when the Hokule’a made its first voyage from Hawaii into San Francisco Bay in 1995.

The aforementioned lovely son, Josh Harris, and lots of unruly plant babies out in the yard.

Do you have any publications you’d like to share?  

Inglés for Dummies, 2nd ed. (2024); Webster’s New World American Idioms Handbook, (2003); Arco Master the TOEFL, (several editions); Master the TOEFL, CBT, both TOEFL books with co-author, Patricia Sullivan; a few random poems published here and there.

Susannah Carney

Picture of Susannah Carney (on the right) and daughter, about midway to the top of Yosemite Falls
Susannah Carney (right) with her daughter

25 years

I taught Writing 1 as a GSI in 2003/2004. Then I was hired as a Lecturer Winter 2023.

I have taught for years at Hartnell and Cabrillo Community Colleges. I also have taught several semesters at CSUMB.

In general, I love language, think that everyone should understand what it can do and how to use it, and want to keep learning about it forever. Teaching allows me to do that in my work.

My favorite spot (that I have been to) in the world is Yosemite.

All the outside, open space things: being in/on/near the ocean, mountains, deserts, wildflowers. At home I garden, spend time horsing around with family, and watch period dramas by myself (nobody else wants to).

Any fun facts about yourself? 

I’ve never been a sports fan, but much to my own surprise, I am a Warriors fan. (Really it’s Steph Curry.)

We lost our beloved canine family member, Kuma in June last year. I am still grieving. I have 3 human children who are all grown up!

Call for Presenters! 

Icon of a yellow lightening boltThe 3rd-Annual Writing Program Mini-Conference:

Lightning Talks Edition

Friday, April 26, 2024, 10am – 1pm 

On Zoom, link to be disseminated

In Spring 2022, the PDC inaugurated our first annual Writing Program mini-conference. Over the last two years, WP faculty have shared “recycled” or upcoming writing-related talks or presentations. This has been a wonderful opportunity for our colleagues to share and learn from each other! 

We are looking forward to our third-annual Writing Program mini-conference this spring quarter! This year, we’ve decided to change it up a bit. More information below: 

Spring 2024: WP Mini-Conference Lightning Talk Edition

• All Writing Program Faculty are invited to give a 10-to-20-minute lightning talk (including time for questions) where you share some aspect of your teaching–an assignment, an activity, a pedagogical strategy, etc.–that you think other faculty members might like to try. 
  • You’ll be invited to bring some sort of artifact (a copy of the assignment, directions, a handout, etc) to disseminate to attendees. 
  • We envision this conference as a time to share all the great work we do in a very low-effort (but Biobib-able) free event. 

Sign up to present here! 

Be First to Comment