April 2024: Faculty Spotlight

The PDC wanted to continue to spotlight some of our Writing Program faculty! We’re so glad to have you as part of the program! 

Anthony Breakspear Headshot of Anthony, wearing a black t-shirt and big smile, against a white backdrop.

How long have you been teaching in general? 

10 years

When did you start teaching for the Writing Program?

Fall 2015

What brought you to teaching (in general and/or here at UCSC)? 

A series of fortunate events: I had many supportive undergraduate mentors who showed me how a pedagogy of liberation could empower a marginalized person like myself to belong in the world. After graduating, I took that agency and went to law school, but quickly realized how much I missed a learning community of collaboration, so I dropped out/flunked out and went to grad school — where I started teaching.

Winston, the beloved pug.
Winston the pug

What is your favorite spot here at UCSC? Or in the world? 

Chadwick Gardens at UC Santa Cruz; Mazunte, Mexico.

What do you like to do outside of teaching?   

Throwing clay and propagating plants.

Any fun facts about yourself?

I speak Korean and I’m learning Arabic (if anyone is looking for a language partner)

Do you have any human, fur, or plant babies? If so, tell us a little about them.

Sadly, we just said good-be to Winston, a pug fur baby who lived 15 wonderful years.

Roxi Power

Roxi with her daughter Emma, both smiling into the camera with their heads tilted against each other.
Roxi Powers and her daughter, Emma

35 years

Spring, 1999

Have you taught at/do you teach for any other programs here at UCSC besides Writing? For any programs outside of UCSC? 

In the past: Crown College, Kresge college, Porter College, Literature, Creative Writing, Community Studies

I was brought to teaching, as many are, by the requirements of my graduate school at Cornell for funding.  Then I was brought to it, more like Denise Levertov says in her “Notes on Organic Form” that we are “brought to speech” when writing a poem, by more organic means. Compelled to write from inner provocations. I loved helping students feel the same way–that they were being brought, rather than forced, to write, through their own purposes for which they found pathways in corresponding genres, often trans-genres, they made up to suit these purposes. I’ve been teaching 35 years, and here at UC Santa Cruz, over 25 years. Yikes. I don’t feel that old!

What is your favorite spot here at UCSC? In the world?

It changes all the time.  I’m kind of a meadow-with-a-view person, having grown up with the vistas of Wyoming, so Porter meadow and that crazy view of the ocean from the top of the entry meadows: wow!  Now that my office is in the cool new Kresge building, I’m also loving the combination of contemporary architectural lines and the yellow pop of buildings against the soft green forest around Kresge.

I love spending whatever time my teenage daughter lets me spend with her before she zips off to college, writing poetry with my friends, listening to jazz, performing Neo-Benshi (live film narration), doing poetry podcasts, going on longish road trips on lonely roads through the Rocky Mountains to clear my mind, kayaking on Lake Tahoe. 

Any fun facts about yourself? 

Um, I hate horror movies. I’ve been trying to practice Mahayana Buddhism since the late 80s, not always perfectly, for sure.  I called myself Steve when I was 5 and really would wear lumberjack boots with the required dresses for holidays in elementary school.  Never owned a Barbie and still confused about the new movie fuss. Sorry (literally) everyone who loves the movie!

Emma Joy Power-Perkins is my 17 year old daughter who is the light of my life. Artistic, sensitive soul. On the other hand: our dogs, Shadow and Ollie. Barking, crazed maniacs as far as our neighbors are concerned, but we love them so!

Do you have any personal publications or presentations you’d like to share?   

My new book, The Songs That Objects Would Sing, available at Finishing Line Press, and you can find my (and all of our) podcasts and upcoming Bookshop Santa Cruz Hive Live! Events at https://hivepoetry.org/.

Here’s a clip from a Neo-Benshi on A Streetcar Named Desire at The New Orleans Poetry Festival last year (starts 41.32). 

Taylor Kirsch

Image of Taylor sitting on the edge of a sea cliff, smiling up into the sun.
Taylor Kirsch

I started teaching outdoor education with summer camps, field trip groups, recreation trips etc. when I was a teenager.  I also tutored as a teen.  My first classroom teaching experiences were in grad school at UCSC. 

Winter 2018

I’ve taught in the History department and at the UCSC Rec.

In general, I’ve always felt deep satisfaction helping other people learn.  It’s a great feeling to grow in knowledge and experience in so many areas of life. Facilitating that for others and learning new ways to do so effectively just never gets old.  Our program has been a really supportive place to do these things.

This is tough!  I have many favorites.  At UCSC I love the koi pond in the Pogonip, and the bridge leading from Hahn to the Mchenry library, especially on a misty morning.  In the world, maybe Three Rivers, CA.  My family has a special connection to the river there and it’s where I got married. 

I love to spend time outside especially near rivers and oceans, hang out with cats and dogs, read, drink tea + cook and eat with family and friends.

Any fun facts about yourself? 

I’m the oldest of six kids and we all grew up with musician parents.  I’m the only one in my family with essentially zero artistic ability. 

My house looks like a jungle because I can’t stop adopting plants.  No fur or human babies currently but I’m lucky that nearly all my friends have kids, dogs, and/or cats whom I love dearly.  

Be First to Comment